Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Introducing......Grayson Frederick Drapp

The newest addition to the Drapp family arrived at 11:30 p.m. on Monday October 28th.  Grayson weighed 9 lbs. 4 oz. and was 22 1/4 inch long.  Needless to say he was one big baby.  Weighing almost 2 lbs. more than Owen did at birth.  I thought he may have been a big baby, but I wasn't really expecting anything over 9 lbs.  



So now back to how it all started - labor I mean.  I was playing the waiting game and thinking that Grayson could arrive at any time, but right on cue - on the due date, at 3:00 a.m. I started having real contractions.  No more of those easy Braxton Hicks contractions, we were on to the real thing.  They were pretty consistent with 4-6 minutes apart and lasting about 35-55 seconds.  So I got up, finished packing my bags and then contacted my sister to have Tim come over (which was our plan if it happened that evening), then woke Brad up and told him it was go time.  We left the house around 7:00 and went straight to the hospital.  

I have several friends who had their second babies so quickly after they went into labor so I didn't want to miss my opportunity to have an epidural.  We got the hospital and I was still only dilated between a 3 and 4.  They had me walk the halls for an hour and see if I made any progress.

While walking the halls I was continuing to have contractions that made me stop and breath through them every 4-6 minutes.  My midwife, Melissa Courtney, said that she thought I was in early labor and that they wanted me to go home and wait until the contractions were lasting longer than a minute and were stronger for at least an hour.  It was a terrible feeling being sent home from the hospital.  I was expecting that once I went into labor with the second baby I would have him in no time.  My midwife also told me that some people experience this type of labor for several days before they make any progress.  Of course this made me start crying.  I cried through my contractions pretty much the rest of the day.  My body was exhausted and I was emotionally drained. I finally called the midwife after suffering through these contractions all day at home.  It was 6:00 p.m. by this time and she told me to come to her office and she would see if I made any progress.  By the time I got to her office my contractions were stronger and closer together, I was finally dilated to a 5.  She sent me to the hospital to get set up for an epidural.

Everything from this point was smooth sailing.  I had an epidural by 8:00p.m. and Baby Grayson was born by 11:30 p.m.  I didn't push more than 15 minutes and it was a great experience!!  With Owen my labor was hard and fast, I had back labor with him and the epidural really had worn off by the time I delivered him.    

Brad and I were so excited to finally have Grayson here and to know that he was a healthy and large baby boy.  It was truly love at first sight with this little man.  I never thought anything could be as special as the day Owen was born but this day was just as remarkable.

Kristin was such a calming presence when I was in labor with Owen and it just so happened that she was available to be with us in the delivery room.  


Here is Brad holding his baby boy for the first time.


The week before Owen helped pick out a jellycat toy and helped decorate the gift so he could bring it to Grayson in the hospital.  

Now it was time to introduce Grayson to his big brother Owen.  Owen brought baby Grayson his new lovie, the puppy.


Our first picture as a family of four

Checking out his new best friend.



This sweet baby is so easy going.  He nurses like a champ and has since the moment he was born.  He is a great sleeper so far, allowing mommy to sleep for 3 hour stretches at night.  I am very thankful, because Owen was not so easy in the beginning so it is nice to get some rest especially because I still have a busy toddler to keep up with.


Here are some of Grayson's first visitors....










I am happy to have my two boys home together!!


No comments:

Post a Comment