Saturday, May 3, 2014

Owen is Growin...

Our sweet little 2 year old is now a 2 1/2 year old...

Let me tell you, 6 months makes a world of difference.  Owen began revealing what the terrible two's really are around the age of 18 months.  I honestly thought every month was just a phase.  I was wrong, the whininess and tantrum throwing continued well into his 2nd birthday.  It seems that lately (I don't want to jinx myself but), Owen has been really pretty good.  He listens and follows directions (most of the time) and is much easier to reason with.  In honor of his half birthday I am going to tell you 6 things about our little man.

1.  Owen continues to love to read books which has really benefitted him in other areas of language.  He knows all of his letters, he knows how to spell his name, and can write the letter "o", he can recognize Grayson's name, Mommy, and Daddy.  He can also identify numbers 1-10 and count to 12 (sometimes 16 if we are lucky).

2.  Owen is very into pretend play with his cars, trucks and trains.  I love to hear him play in his playroom when he doesn't think anyone is listening.  He still loves Buzz and Woody from Toy Story although he doesn't play with them as often as he used to.  He loves dinosaurs, and is now very interested in sharks, dolphins and fish.  He is a true boy.

3.  Owen still loves all things sports, football, basketball baseball, and golf.  He has special teams that he cheers for in each sport.  The Cleveland Browns, The Kentucky Wildcats and The Cincinnati Reds are all of his favorite teams.  I think Daddy may have had some input with these favorite teams.

4.  Sleeping habits:  Owen wakes up at about 7:00 and plays in his crib (yes he is still in his crib) quietly for 30 minutes or so in the morning.  He goes back down for nap time somewhere between 12:30 and 1:00.  Getting two tired kids ready for nap time and bedtime are my least favorite times of the day, both kids usually end up crying at some point and if no one cries, that is a victory in my book.  Owen has been napping everyday lately but it seems like he will nap one month and then he won't nap the next month.  I honestly never know what I'm going to get.  I have recently started bribing him to take a nap by letting him pick out something from his Easter basket if he is quiet and sleeps during nap time.
See exhibit A... (notice his bed head and my messy house)
When he does nap, he will sleep for 2 1/2 - 4 hours if I let him.  Then he goes back to bed for the night by 7:30 or 8:00 p.m.

5.  Owen still says lots of funny things.  He communicates so clearly and loves to tell you every single thing he has on his mind.  He has become quite the chatter box (I'm not exactly sure where he got that from).  He always wants to be part of the conversation, especially at the dinner table.  He interrupts Brad and I when we are chatting with "hey hey hey guys, ummm".  He doesn't know what he wants to say he just knows he doesn't want to be left out.  We are trying to teach him to say "excuse me" when he wants to talk and to wait his turn.  Owen has never really been a fan of waiting his turn.

6.  Owen is a pretty good eater, Brad would say otherwise, but I think its because he is comparing how much Owen eats to what he eats.  Owen eats a good breakfast of yogurt, eggs or pancakes, and typically some kind of fruit.  At lunch we are usually in a rush to eat before nap time so it is often peanut butter and jelly, salami or leftovers.  At dinner he eats what we eat.  He went through a phase where he refused to eat just about everything, this was also around the time Grayson was born and people were bringing us food.  Hopefully we don't go back to another food battle session.  Again, I think being able to reason with him is helpful when he puts up a fight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment