Monday, February 20, 2012

The real sleep training begins

So I got a little desperate with the sleep training and decided to call in the bug guns. Author Richard Ferber wrote a book called Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems.

My sister Nicole used this method for both of her children and it worked wonders after a few nights of misery and several glasses of wine for the parents. Brad and I decided we needed the same support system, by that I mean the wine, but we actually didn't have any good wine left so we decided to open the bottle of champaign from our neighbors to celebrate Brad's new job. So we drank that, yum! However we did not unpack the champaign glasses so we had to use wine glasses, oh well!

The Ferber method wants us to get rid of all of Owen's sleep crutches which are his pacifier, the swaddle and the NapNanny all at once. We put him in his crib awake but drowsy and he has to try to get himself to go to sleep. We are supposed to go in his room in intervals of 10 minutes to try to calm him down and let him know that we are here. Brad and I are sitting in the living room listening to Owen cry and watching the clock waiting to go in to console this sad little guy. This is harder than watching him get shots but I know we will all benefit from this in the long run.

Here is a picture of Owen during happier times, before he learned that he had to give up his pacifier.

 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck guys! I hope you all get some much needed rest very soon! I know you like your sleep :)
    Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete